12.30.2017

A New Goal for Goals


It's another new year,
another blank slate.
You know what's going to happen,
but you write them anyway.
Before three weeks have passed,
the slate is not so blank,
and the year is not so new.
February first goes by,
and you've done it yet again.
you set yourself up so high,
just to crash down again.

And you want to give up.

How about a new way?
Instead of setting goals
where the goals are equal
to checklists and chores
and you have no room to grow...
How about we learn from the past,
and continue on with joy,
knowing that what we learn this year
will last us all our life.
Celebrate the accomplishments,
rather than mourn over the mistakes,
because not one of us is perfect-
but God loves us anyway.

So don't give up!


(image courtesy of unsplash.com)


Goals are good- and very important- but I'm finally figuring out that they don't define us or our worth. Jesus has already done that for us, so will you join me in a new way of thinking for 2018? Let's sit back, write those goals, and walk with confidence in His love all year long, no matter what comes our way. Let's celebrate the victories, learn from the losses, and praise Him for His goodness.
 (Oh, and I just realized this is A Purpose and A Promise's 100th post... what perfect timing!) Happy New Year!
Share with the world:

12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!! A New Goal for Goals... catchy name :). Thanks for the encouraging and beautiful post Emily :).... I hope you have a great 2018

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! Hope you have a wonderful 2018 also! xx

      Delete
  2. Let's celebrate the victories, learn from the losses, and praise Him for His goodness. I like that a lot. :) Congratulations on 100 posts, and happy new year to you too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! I'm so glad God gave me that sentence for this past year, and it just keeps on encouraging. Have a wonderful new year! xx

      Delete
  3. This post was beautiful, Emily! I love the message and it's definitely something we need to hear in the new year. And congratulations on 100 posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! I definitely don't have it all down yet, since I am a continual goal setter -as you know well- but it's something to encourage, no matter what. xx

      Delete
  4. This post is everything I need to hear before the new year comes!
    Simply Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're encouraged, and have a blessed 2018! xx

      Delete
  5. True indeed - our goals don't define us. But as I read this I'm reminded that God always fulfills what He sets out to accomplish, and in a way, that's what defines us. The end has been determined, and for us its a glorious victory in Christ! Thanks for writing this, Emily!

    -- May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed! That is a wonderful verse. It also reminds me of Philippines 1:6- "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."
      Thanks for your thoughts, Jordy! xx

      Delete
  6. I love the way you wrote this, Emily! I am not huge on goals, especially this year, but I love the perspective you have on the subject. My goal this year is just to follow Christ to the best of my ability. There are things that He is bringing my way that I want to pursue and it is my goal to glorify Him in them this year.

    Again, I love the way you wrote this poem and post! Awesome job, and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
    Happy New Year :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jewels! Wow, I love that goal- it should be the ultimate goal for all Christians, really! If we have that in mind, everything else will fall into place.
      Thank you, and hope you have a wonderful 2018! xx

      Delete

hi there, and thanks so much for leaving a comment! thoughts about what you read here make my day and I respond to each one. please keep your words kind and respectful to other readers and to our Lord- and thank you for taking the time to read. xx

 
blog Design by Beautifully Chaotic. Blog Content © 2017 by A Purpose and A Promise